WEEK 38: June 12-16, 2017

THIS WEEK’S EVENTS

Monday, June 12 — Field Day K-2 AM; 3-5 PM

3rd Grade Field Trip to Thunderbowl

PBIS Basket Raffle preview/ticket drop

Metzger to Riley in AM

Mrs. Lauth family potluck — Courtyard

Maynard Walking Field Trip to AP Library 12:20 p.m.

Eval Meeting Yesh 1:00 p.m.

Eval Meeting Skebo 3:30 p.m.

Board Meeting — PTA Recognition

Tuesday, June 13 — 5th grade brunch

3rd Grade to Champaign Park

McCall Walking Field Trip to AP Library 9:00 a.m.

PBIS Basket Raffle distribution

Eval Meeting Maynard 10:05 a.m.

Lauth Walking Field Trip to AP Library 10:15 a.m.

1/2 Day 11:40 Dismissal

Class List/Scheduling Meetings beginning at 12:30 p.m.

Eval Meeting Dalton 3:30 p.m.

Wednesday, June 14 — 5th grade Awards Ceremony 10:00 a.m. Cafeteria

Kindergarten Year-End Celebration

1/2 Day 11:40 Dismissal

Eval Meeting Klein 12:00 p.m.

Eval Meeting Simonds 1:00 p.m.

Thursday, June 15 — LAST DAY FOR STUDENTS

Eval Meeting McCall 10:05 a.m.

Eval Meeting Lauth 1:00 p.m.

1/2 Day 11:40 Dismissal

Mindfulness Group/WrapUp Meeting 2:00 p.m.

Friday, June 16 — LAST DAY FOR STAFF

WRAPPING IT UP

Wow!  Another year is coming to a close!  It has been a challenging year, and you have met the challenges with professionalism and determination.  I am proud of you for the ways you worked tirelessly to do the best work for our students.  Enjoy this last week together.  Remember that some of our small friends are uncertain about what lies ahead for them this summer, and their anxiety may present itself in different ways.  Thank you for your patience and the kindness with which you will send our Bobcats off into the summer at the end of this week.

MINDFULNESS UPDATE

Although it has certainly been a challenge to squeeze in the time to engage in Mindfulness training, I am so impressed with the efforts of our staff to learn together at this time of year.  If you have not been able to keep up with the modules, please consider going in and clicking through and making a brief comment when needed so you can maintain access to this valuable information in the future!  As a final wrapup, I would like to invite everyone to participate together in the final week’s reflection meeting.  This meeting will take place in the Media Center at 2:00 p.m. on Thursday, June 15.  This meeting will also be our chance to gather some final thoughts on our initiatives for this year, and plans for next year.  This is an optional meeting.  Hope to see many of you there.  🙂

GRADE LEVEL SCHEDULING MEETINGS

Thank you for completing your data in Class Creator!

We will meet on Tuesday, June 13 to review class lists and talk about common daily schedules for next year.  Now that you have “lived” the schedule for a year, keep in mind what changes or adjustments you would like to make for your grade level team to be most effective and best meet the needs of students at all levels.

Grade Level Time
Kindergarten 12:45
1st Grade 1:15
2nd Grade 1:45
3rd Grade 2:15
4th Grade 2:45
5th Grade 3:15

THANK YOU, PTA

We are so grateful to our Bennie PTA, who has made a generous donation to our school so we may begin construction of our Outdoor Learning Center this summer!  This was made possible by the generosity of Bennie families through this year’s fundraising efforts!  Stay tuned for text reminders this summer when we are ready for a work crew!

Image result for safe schools

SAFE SCHOOLS

Mike Dawson has indicated that the Safe Schools training window will open on July 1 with a due date of October 31.  Please let me know if you need any assistance accessing your Safe Schools account when the window opens.

YEAR END SURVEYS

If you have not already done so, please take a few moments and complete these year-end surveys for our MTSS program and Math in Focus program.  We appreciate the feedback you have given us all year long, and are looking forward to your final thoughts so we may improve for next year!

MTSS Survey:  https://docs.google.com/a/appublicschools.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdxB7aI0V9PN3RrA8zTiqkk6uL02Wnr8-NVlZ-NX32f1C8edg/viewform

Math in Focus Survey:  https://docs.google.com/a/appublicschools.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfIgv964WvXuLWYa68E8WX3nE1M0S-_KuKmpupPAdkuz1IAXg/viewform

MSTEP FEEDBACK

Hello –

Here is an opportunity for you to provide feedback regarding the 2017 Spring Test Administration.  College Board and MDE have set-up surveys to collect this information, please forward the survey links to staff as needed.  The surveys need to be completed by June 16, 2017.

College Board would like feedback about this spring’s PSAT 8/9, PSAT 10, and SAT administration.

Survey link: www.surveymonkey.com/r/2017michiganfeedback

The Michigan Department of Education (MDE) would like feedback regarding your experience during the 2017 Spring Administration.

Survey link: https://baameap.wufoo.com/forms/spring-2017-mstep-online-administration/

Thank you,

Cindy Taraskiewicz

Wayne RESA

(734) 334-1422

CONGRATS, GRADS!

Graduation photos / News Herald.

2017 Allen Park High School graduation http://media.thenewsherald.com/2017/06/02/2017-allen-park-high-school-graduation/?id=1 via @NewsHeraldMI

WRAPPING UP

Wrapping Up the School Year: 5 Reflective End-of-Year Activities

Editor’s Note: Read more end-of-year ideas from one of our favorite bloggers, Carrie Kamm.

The last days of the school year are ticking by. As more and more milestones get crossed off your list, you may be left wondering how to wrap up the school year. Last year I wrote about how teachers can reflect on their “shining moments” at the end of the school year. This year I’ve asked several teachers to share their favorite end-of-year activities in hopes that you’ll find one that feels just right to use in your classroom.

1. Advice for Future Students

Make a list of advice for future students by asking current students to reflect on the year and share tips for success. High school math teacher Lauren Collins says this activity usually yields a good mix of funny and serious advice, which she prints out and gives to the next year’s class on the first day of school.

2. Graph of Highs and Lows

High school ELA teacher Esther Wu asks students to draw a graph of their year’s highs and lows on 8.5 x 11 paper with emoticons, symbols, lessons learned, songs of the month, etc. Students use the month of the year as the x-axis, and their emotions, what they learned, etc., as the y-axis.

3. Top Ten List

Another great idea from Esther Wu is to have students work in small groups to come up with a Top Ten List about the year. Students can be as serious or funny as they wish in presenting their lists to the class. Esther shares that this activity is super fun, plus you get to learn a lot about what students found meaningful about the school year.

4. Common Core Reflection

Katie Novak, K-12 reading coordinator, has her students grade her on how well she taught the Common Core ELA Standards. She gives her students a copy of the standards, then makes her case for how each standard was covered over the course of the year by reviewing lessons, literature, prompts, etc. Katie shares that hearing her students assess how the CCSS were covered allows her to assess students’ learning in a non-threatening way.

5. Graffiti Wall

Reflection can happen individually, in small groups, and as a large group. Sherwanda Chism, K-6 gifted ELA teacher, has a great way to get the whole class reflecting together. She creates a “Graffiti Wall” by covering a wall in her classroom with bulletin board paper. Students then write and draw about their greatest learning experiences that took place in her class. Sherwanda shares how this activity helps students to reflect, while simultaneously providing feedback for her on her practices.

What are your favorite end-of-the-year reflection activities? Comment below to share your ideas for closing out the school year. And read Carrie’s blog with four more ways to end the school year.

Lily Jones taught K/1 for seven years in Northern California. She has experience as a curriculum developer, instructional coach, teacher trainer, and is also a contributing writer for Teaching Channel.

FREE ONLINE WORKSHOPS

Hi!!

I hope you’re having a great start to the month of June!

I am SO excited to share that I have a bunch of FREE online workshops planned out for June, July, and August! Yay! 🎉

I have a couple of things about the workshops to share, so please read all the way thru this email.

First, at the bottom of this message, I’ve listed out all of the workshop dates and sign-up links. Click on the dates to sign up.

You are welcome to sign up for as many workshops as you like! You are also welcome to forward this email to your teammates and teacher friends! Everyone who attends will get a freebie, as usual.

AND – I will be doing a giveaway during EVERY single webinar!

The giveaway will be different for each workshop – it could be a gift card, a book, shopping money for my store…it’ll be a surprise! 😀 In order to qualify for the giveaway, you have to attend the workshop live.

Speaking of attending live…it really is the best way to get the most out of the workshop. When you attend live, you can chat with other teachers, share ideas, and learn from them, too.

However. I totally get that you might be traveling, or the times don’t work for you, or you live in Australia and don’t want to watch PD in the middle of the night. 😜

SO I decided to invest in software where I can upload ALL of my workshops + freebies + certificates + slides for you to access anytime, anywhere.

There are currently 4 workshops already in there. If you get a subscription, every single time I teach a new workshop, it will be added – at no extra cost!

You can read more about it here: http://courses.learningattheprimarypond.com/p/lite…

Okeydoke…I think that’s it. Check out the workshop dates and times at the bottom here. Write back if you have any questions!

Looking forward to seeing you on the workshops!!

– Alison

UPCOMING WORKSHOPS

How To Launch Reading Workshop in K-2 (*NEW*)

How To Launch Writing Workshop in K-2

How To Differentiate Your Writing Instruction

How To Schedule Your K-2 Balanced Literacy Block (*NEW*)

Guided Reading Made Easy (aka Guided Reading 101)

Advanced Guided Reading (aka Guided Reading 102) (*NEW*)

How To Teach Comprehension in K-2

MAKING HOMEWORK OPTIONAL IS THE WAY TO GO!

from http://www.whattheteacherwantsblog.com/2017/03/making-homework-optional-is-way-to-go.html
Homework. It’s a cringe-worthy word. The problem most parents complain of is TOO much homework (which I agree).  And the complaint from most teachers is that it’s a lot of prep (I agree) and that much of the work is done by the parents. Students begin to hate homework starting early in their elementary years (yikes).  Here’s how we make it work for parents, students AND teachers!
This year my teammates and I made our 1st grade homework OPTIONAL. Yes, you heard it. We don’t REQUIRE our students to do homework.  We do ask that they read 20 minutes per day, but there are no math worksheets, no book reports, no reading calendars, no homework folders.
BUT- they do have a chance to do homework if they’d like! Many parents in our community are heavily involved and really would like their children to do homework each night to teach them things like time management, responsibility and to practice the skills we are learning in class. I agree that these things are important, but RESEARCH (John Hattie’s research is great to look at) shows that homework does not really help in the success and growth in our students.
What do I do INSTEAD?
Present homework as a choice.
Each week we have a newsletter that lists our optional homework. For each item the student completes and the parent initials, he/she gets a Homework High-Five (a raffle ticket). If they do 5 parts, they get 5 tickets!  I do not need any other “evidence” other than a parent initial. This keeps the work on my end limited, but students are able to bring in any work they’d like me to see. For instance, a student made an elaborate leprechaun trap last week as a weekly challenge and took a picture to show me! 🙂 The students turn their newsletter note on Friday, regardless of how many tasks they’ve completed (even if it’s zero) because at the bottom the parent signs off that their child did their reading each night…which is the only requirement.  NO READING CALENDARS. 🙂 I do feel the need for at least that much accountability (signing a note)…especially when a majority of my students prefer video games over books.
Required:
Take-Home Reading Folders (20 min. each night) or just reading any book before bed! I want them to LOVE reading and if they prefer their own books to read, they just need to let me know that.
Optional:
Spelling Practice (depending on the difficulty, they can earn up to 3 tickets for doing this 3 nights)
Math Website (i-ready for 30 minutes per week and I can easily log in to track progress)
Weekly Challenge (see below)
First Grade Goal (learn address, write birthday, write phone number, etc.)
Stapled to newsletter each week is always the spelling list. For math practice, my students all have accounts on i-ready math (paid subscription from our school) which is a differentiated, computer math program. It teaches the students lessons on their level and assesses them using animated games and activities. Our kids love it.
Each week there is also one “weekly challenge” and we like to really mix it up with these challenges. They earn a ticket for completing it. Here are some ideas:
*play outside for 20 minutes each night
*check out a book at the public library
*help make dinner
*do the dishes
*listen to a song and make up a dance
*build a leprechaun trap
*play a board game with your family
*read a book in the dark with a flashlight
*read to a sibling or stuffed animal
*write a letter to a friend
*visit a nursing home
*Practice jump roping
*build a snowman
*teach your parents how to do the “Milk Shake”
*draw a map of your house
*with your family, take a walk around the neighborhood and count the stop signs
*Play four corners
*Draw a picture for a neighbor and deliver it (with the help of an adult)
*preform a science experiment from sciencekids.co
*with help from an adult, research online about emperor penguins and write three facts about them
After students bring in their note, a parent volunteer calls them into the hall to fill out their Homework High-Fives. I like my students to sign their own tickets so they can feel excited about it! This motivates the students to do the homework, even though they don’t have to, because they want to win a prize. W
I draw 5 names each week. The “extra names” get dumped into a larger tub and I draw one grand-prize winner each month. So, I have a huge tub of all of the tickets they’ve ever signed.
There’s always a chance to win!
What do my students win if their name is called?  COUPONS!  I love Proud to be Primary’s Class Reward Coupons (and so do my students). They are obsessed with picking the coupon that allows them to switch seats and sit by a friend. Ugh. 😉
Everything you need to know about these awesome coupons can be found {here}.
Parents were SHOCKED when we said we have “optional” homework. There were some who jumped for joy and some who just could not believe we would encourage this craziness! We had to get them on board with it. HA! Before we started, we sent home this important note. The parents who “hated” the idea of getting rid of it were still pleased to see they could still make their kids do homework with this optional method.
 What have I noticed since doing this for the first time this year? I have noticed that parents are less stressed, families are more happy, and I have not seen a decrease in academic success! Who even knows who was actually doing that math worksheet I used to send home, right?
If you’d like to see examples of what I send home, click HERE.
What are your questions?
Comment Below.
FAQ:
What about students who NEVER have help at home and then are never able to earn a ticket?
You can allow those students to take a few minutes of their class time to complete parts of their homework. These might be your students you’re already holding interventions for, so why not give them a few minutes and work on their homework as well.
What if a student does not practice their spelling and does horrible on their test each week?
I just sit down and talk with the parents about the importance of practicing at home at least once or twice. We practice a lot at school. We have a new phonics rule each week and we read books with that phonics rule, read poems and practice reading and writing those words each day in word work.
How do you hand student who do not have access to a computer for your online math option?
We are lucky enough to have a class set of laptops for out grade-level and so I allow students to do i-ready math as a fast finisher in the morning. Before that, I’d let that student use my laptop when they finish their journal in the morning so that they can get the i-ready signed off. The students all know how to log in to their own i-ready account so it’s very independent.
If you don’t do reading calendars, how do you know the students are reading?
Because I do take-home reading folders, I keep track of what books I send them and the dates they return them. If they are reading 20 minutes each night, they should be returning their books about 2 or 3 times a week (depending on their reading level). I also send reminders home if I haven’t seen their folder in 1 week. ALSO, a big indicator if they are reading at home is their progress in guided reading groups. 🙂
Have you been wanting to use a workshop model in your classroom? Need to learn more. Check out this post to see how the routine works and learn what you can do now to make next year easier.

MAKING READER’S WORKSHOP WORK FOR YOU

Have you been interested in exploring a workshop model for your language arts block, but feel like you need to understand a little more about it? The workshop model keeps the reader and writer in mind, emphasizes choices, and employs more partner and small group learning. Today, I thought I’d share tips you might use as you begin thinking about ways to improve literacy instruction next year.

Routines Matter

Structuring the Literacy Block

As you think about reader’s workshop, the first step is to set your schedule up for success. There needs to be a predictable routine for the students in order for them to carry out their reading plans. For reader’s workshop, you’ll need about an hour and a half of time for a class size of approximately 20 students or three reading groups. Here’s a sample schedule:

Whole Group Reading Mini-Lesson
(Suggested 20-25 minutes)
Guided Reading Groups/Literacy Workstations/Independent Reading or Literature Circles
(Suggested 50 -60 minutes)
Whole Group Writing Mini-Lesson
(Suggested 20 minutes)
Writer’s Workshop
(Suggested 20-30 minutes)
Sharing
(Suggested 10 minutes)

As you can see in the schedule, the reading block begins with whole group instruction. The mini-lessons at the start of the year are typically focused on routine building. Teachers model how literacy workstations, literature circles, and word study work is to be done as well as establish rotation plans, rules for bathroom/water breaks, and even how questions are to be asked. We know kids will have them, right? Taking time to establish your expectations for independent work and work at the table pays off all year long.

The Mini Lesson

The mini lesson for the day is the focus of your instruction. The teacher selects the skill that he/she will model through the mini-lesson and how he/she will demonstrate it. Teachers often use anchor charts, a powerpoint presentation, or mentor texts lessons (or shared reading with think aloud) as the instructional strategy followed by an opportunity for students to discuss and practice with a partner. The mini-lesson is not determined by a reading basal, but rather, the teachers chooses the focus using the pacing guides from his/her school division and/or student needs.

Turn and Talk

You've been hearing about turning and talking. Check out this post to see how teachers are using it as a way to work out student thinking during whole group and small group instruction.
After the teacher has modeled the focus skill (through a mentor text, using an anchor chart, or by demonstrating with a graphic organizer on the smartboard), then it’s time for student engagement. The students in your room should be trained in how to pair up and discuss and/or apply what they’ve learned to their personal reading. This part is critical for struggling students in particular, and it is important to keep in mind that students do not need to read at the same level to interact well about the reading.

Setting the Purpose

Before you send your students packing, it’s important to set the purpose for small group instruction. How will the students practice or apply the information learned through the mini-lesson? The skill work continues once the students leave the carpet. Whether you run literature circles after the whole group lesson or meet with your students for guided reading groups, there will be students working independently, and they need to clearly understand what it is that they’re expected to do.

Small Group Instruction

Organization:

You’ve set the purpose. Now what? The answer to this is to begin your small group rotations. You do have options though and there are lots of them.

Guided Reading Groups:

For some teachers, a guided reading approach works best where the teacher works with students according to their reading levels in small groups while the remaining students work in literacy workstations, on seatwork, in journals, or on word building activities. This is probably the most popular routine at the elementary level. In my school division, the expectation was to use literacy workstations, word study activities, and partner reading while guided reading groups met.

Daily Five:

Another option is to structure your small group instruction around the Daily Five model. In this model, the choices are simplified a little (IMO) when students are not at the table. Groups remain fluid and can be based on skills needed or reading levels. For an idea of how this look, check out Kristen’s post over on Classroom Tested Resources.

Literature Circles:

One more option some teachers have used is literature circles. I think literature circles work especially well in upper elementary, middle school, and even high school. Older readers need small group reading time too. With literature circles, the students still work toward the lesson purpose in small groups through deep discussion and group work, however, each student is assigned a specific role in the discussion. Word Wizard, Summarizer, and Questioner are just a few. Lit Circles can lead to high engagement since the students can choose what they’re interested in reading  (from the teacher’s collection) and increased accountability due to working as a team. With this model, the teacher works more as a facilitator and floats between groups overseeing the discussion.

Conferring with Kids:

During the block of time after your whole group lesson, you will want to take some of the time to confer with your students about their reading and hold book talks. In my opinion, this is a very rewarding part of the day to both teacher and students. This time gives the teacher the opportunity to get to know his/her students as readers and to hold them accountable for independent reading which has been proven to be the best predictors of reading success.

Assessment

Each day, we as teachers need to take anecdotal notes and evidence of our students’ learning. The assessment piece is very important because it gives us the next step. As we’re working with our students in small groups, one-on-one, and observing them in our workstations, we are collecting data which helps us know our students’ strengths and weaknesses. Keeping evidence also helps us show parents and administrators how our students are doing and where extra support or enrichment is needed. Finally, having students respond to their reading emphasizes the reading-writing connection.

Closing

The last part of the reading block should be a closing or debrief. It takes just a minute or two, but it pulls everything together. It gives the teacher a chance to set the stage for the next day too.

What Can We Do Now for Later?

Print and Go activities you can use for small group instruction and literacy workstations. All you need to add is a book of your choice. Activities help the teacher with assessing student understanding of comprehension skills.
One of the best things you can do now is organizing a reading binder with materials you can pull for skills that you know you will be teaching. I’d recommend printing a hard copy of your favorite organizers, foldables, and anchor charts. Then, go to your school and copy 5 of each, place them in sheet protectors, and divide them by skill. You will want a variety so that you can present the skill in different ways. While you are at it, you may want to begin looking for titles that help you with modeling too. Having things ready to go will save you a ton of time later.
This Skill Based Comprehension Checks for Primary set helps teachers keep the focus of small group instruction on the meaning of the text. Intended for grades 1-3.
Recently, I revised the Guided Reading Bundle (72 pages) in my store and added to the Skill Based Comprehension Checks Bundle for Primary. The Guided Reading Bundle is probably best suited for grades 2 and up whereas the Skill Based Comprehension Checks are aimed at primary readers. The colleagues I shared these with have been very pleased. Here are a few of the comments from a few buyers:

These are great to give my students for independent reading, small groups, and partner reading! I love the endless possibilities!

Great addition to my reading resources. The simplicity is perfectly suited for my second graders.

INTERESTING ARTICLE

5 Powerful Research-Based Techniques for Exemplary Kindergartens Today

By Eileen Feldgus PhD and Isabell Cardonick MEd

The recent high-profile spotlight on a landmark study in Developmental Psychology has drawn attention to research by Canadian cognitive psychologists Gene Ouellette and Monique Sénéchal (2017).  In some respects Ouellette and Sénéchal discovered what we, Eileen and Isabell, have advocated for decades: a powerful connection to improved end-of-first-grade reading scores through the use of early writing and invented spelling.  The study’s title, “Invented Spelling in Kindergarten as a Predictor of Reading and Spelling in Grade 1: A New Pathway to Literacy, or Just the Same Road, Less Known?”(Ouellette and Sénéchal, 2017), reflects what exemplary kindergarten teachers have known about the powerful writing/reading connection for years—kid writing is a pathway to reading success. But this work is still not well known or universally practiced. This less-known pathway is the one we traveled. Starting out as passionate kindergarten teachers in the 1960’s and 70’s, we were ardent about creating classrooms that worked for children. We devoured the research of that era and became life-long learners throughout our careers. Early on we discovered better outcomes for children as we focused more on writing, encouraged invented spelling, developed innovative strategies for teaching phonics and eliminated boring worksheets. Today in 2017 five best-practice techniques we discovered in our practice are now wholly supported by research and recommended for today’s kindergartens and first grades.

1.  Use Invented Spelling (Ouellette & Sénéchal, 2017). We found invented spelling to be joyful, motivational for our students, and wonderful in terms of providing opportunities for scaffolding and systematically teaching almost all important aspects of the kindergarten literacy curriculum including phonics, phonemic awareness, knowledge of the alphabet, writing conventions, and vocabulary development. But perhaps the most amazing discovery throughout our journey was that kids had remarkable capacities to make meaning if we supported them in the process and allowed their creative juices to flow. Early on we learned as we had read in Don Graves’ research (1983), that kids write best when we step back and allow them to choose their own topics and give them ownership and autonomy. We called our teaching model, “Kid Writing” (1999). Our model fit perfectly with a growing model now called Guided Reading for differentiated reading instruction (Fountas & Pinnell, 2012) and we put in a whole layer underpinning Lucy Calkins work (2003) by showing teachers exactly how to get started and how to move forward with writing workshop and formative assessment. Here are a few samples that illustrate kids’ capacity to grow and flourish as writers in kindergarten:

Hameray (2017) Used with permission.

When I was born my mommy and daddy used to pay a lot of attention to me. But now they don’t pay a lot of attention to me. They pay a lot to Conner.

Source: Hameray (2017) Used with permission.
Hameray (2017) Used with permission.
Spiders spin webs to catch insects so they can eat them.
Hameray (2017) Used with permission.
My grandma fell. My mom screamed so loud my uncles and my dad dropped their beer and ran in the house. When I looked at her I thought she was dead but she wasn’t. I was relieved.

2. Abandon teaching “Letter of the Week (Reutzel, 1992, 2015). Teaching one letter per week was standard practice in kindergarten when we began teaching. We tried our best to jazz up our teaching of the alphabetic principle because we knew it was essential to breaking the code and reading. Our students sang for the letter, danced for the letter, cooked for the letter, and cut and pasted for the letter. We took elaborate measures to teach the alphabet and sounds because we knew it was important.  One fond memorywas our “P” Party:” we served foods beginning with P—pizza, pretzels, popcorn, pepperoni, and the like. But with letter of the week the pace was too slow, and as far back as 1992 researchers were noticing the same problem and cautioning teachers to “break the letter-a-week tradition.” (Reutzel, 1992)

So in our classrooms we began to use children’s names on the first day of kindergarten—from Albert to Zoie—and learned to focus on all the sounds and letters from the very beginning. In contrast to when we were using letter of the week our students mastered letters and sounds far sooner.

Today, as reported by Reutzel (2015), “research has identified six evidence- based alphabet letter learning orders through which young children may acquire knowledge of alphabet letter names and sounds (Justice, Pence, Bowles, & Wiggins, 2006 ).” And guess what? “The first learning order is called the own-name effect.” (Reutzel, 2015) We got it right before the research proved it!

3.  Use Invented Spelling and a Developmental Writing Scale to monitor progress (Gentry, 2006, 2000). Even before we published the first book on Kid Writing, we were collaborating with Richard Gentry on how to use a developmental spelling/writing assessment along with a developmental rubric to show how young children’s progression through five phases of developmental spelling revealed—among other things—the individual child’s understanding of phonics and his or her invented spellings as evidence of what the child knew or did not know. We found this work to be much more powerful for targeting instruction and monitoring kindergartners’ progress than traditional spelling tests or even measures of phonemic awareness and alphabet knowledge. Progress monitoring by phase observation is now supported by empirical research! (Ouellette & Sénéchal, 2017)

When we started out as neophyte teachers, kids were simply memorizing words that we gave them on a list. We learned to scaffold what they were using in their invented spelling and to show them how English spelling works. Our teaching went from giving lists of what to spell to showing kids how to spell and invented spelling was our vehicle! Without getting into the particulars of an analysis, look at the following samples that show one kindergarten child’s remarkable progress from fall to spring of her kindergarten year.

Hameray (2017) Used with premission.
September Sample
Source: Hameray (2017) Used with premission.
Hameray (2017) Used with permission.
June Sample

September sample: It was a sunny day.

June sample: Tuesday my tooth was wiggling. When it was in my mouth, it bled. When it fell out, it stopped bleeding. My mom gently pulled it out with a paper towel and I was happy that it fell out.

4.  Let go of worksheets! (Palmer & Invernizzi, 2015). We found that teaching and learning in our classrooms improved when we abandoned worksheets. Remember those nonsensical work sheets where children were to write the letter that the word for each picture would begin with? When we first began teaching we remember students who squirmed with sit-at-the-desk busy worksheets and struggled over the Y is for Yak worksheet wondering why Y was the match for the first sound in “goat” which is the picture they saw on the worksheet.

5. Teach children to stretch though a word with a moving target. (Feldgus, Cardonick, & Gentry, 2017) Research by Ouelette, validated our Stretching Through a Word with a Moving Target teaching methodology. Their research, “confirmed that facilitating invented spelling within a Vygotskian teaching approach can bring about benefits in learning to read and spell, and these benefits go beyond the expansion of alphabetic knowledge and phonological awareness.

Our stretching through technique, for example, helped kids move from l for lady in Phase 2 to lad in Phase 3 to ladee in syllable chunks in Phase 4 on the way to conventional lady. The stretching through technique met kids where they were and supported them in moving to higher levels of spelling sophistication from phase to phase.

Keep the Faith—Keep the Passion—Keep Your Kids Writing

One thing that hasn’t changed over the years is our passion for literacy-learning classrooms for beginners. Today as staff developers and authors, we continue to encounter kindergarten teachers all over America and beyond who share our passion, devotion to children, and vision for joyful, play-based, academic kindergarten and first grade classrooms. We believe implementing these five research-based strategies surrounding kid writing will be transformational in America. It is the answer to reversing the decades-old trend of flat-lined first grade reading scores!

For details on  these five strategies and creating joyful kid-writing classrooms that work, check out our comprehensive guide for kindergarten and grade 1 teachers: Kid Writing in the 21st Century: A Systematic Approach to Phonics, Spelling and Writing Workshop (Hameray, 2017).

Link to Kid Writing to learn more.

Dr. J. Richard Gentry is the author of Raising Confident Readers, How to Teach Your Child to Read and Write–From Baby to Age 7. Follow him on Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn and find out more information about his work on his website.

References

Calkins, L. M. (2003). The Nuts and Bolts of Teaching Writing. Portsmouth, NH: Heinemann.

Feldgus, E., Cardonick, I. & Gentry, J. R. (2017). Kid Writing in the 21st Century. Las Angeles, CA: Hameray Publishing Group.

Fountas, I. and Pinnell, G.S.(2013). The Reading Teacher. 66 (4) 268-284.

Gentry, R. (2006). Breaking the code: The new science of beginning reading and writing. Portsmouth, NH: Heinemann.

Gentry, R. (2000). A retrospective on invented spelling and a look forward. The Reading Teacher. 54 (3) 318-332.

Graves, D. H. (1983). Writing: Teachers and Children at Work. Portsmouth, NH: Heinemann.

Justice , L.M. , Pence , K. , Bowles , R.B. , & Wiggins , A. ( 2006 ). An investigation of four hypotheses concerning the order by which 4- year- old children learn the alphabet letters. Early Childhood Research Quarterly, 21 ( 3), 374 – 389 .

Ouelette, G. & Sénéchal, M. (2017). Invented spelling in kindergarten as a predictor of reading and spelling in grade 1: A new Pathway to literacy, or just the same road, less known? Developmental Psychology. 53 (1) 77– 88. http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/dev0000179

Palmer, J. & Invernizzi, M. (2015). No More Phonics and Spelling Worksheets. Portsmouth NH: Heinemann.

Reutzel, D. R. (2015). Early literacy research: Findings primary-grade teachers will want to know. The Reading Teacher. 69, (1), 14–24. DOI: 10.1002/trtr.1387 © 2015 International Literacy Association

Reutzel , D.R. ( 1992 ). Breaking the letter- a- week tradition: Conveying the alphabetic principle to young children. Childhood Education, 69 ( 1 ), 20 – 23 .

It’s a great week to be a Bennie Bobcat! 

Have a wonderful summer!

2 thoughts on “WEEK 38: June 12-16, 2017

1. I like the example of optional homework. If kids read 20 minutes per night, we will see improvement in their reading skills. This takes away some of the grading of homework while still providing something for parents to work on with their child.